
Hey everybody, yes we are in sequoia, land of the big trees and have been here for about a week now. There is free wifi at the lodge but it is hard to find time to get over here to check in. We have a great camp site, probably the best in the whole camp ground. Thanks are due to the person who wrote about it on trip adviser and to me for getting early reservations.
Our site is one of the few that is right on the Marble Fork of the Kawhea river where the kids find entertainment swimming and building dams. The site is also quite private with no other sites within 50 yards. It is right on a bend in the river so that we can see up the canyon and also down toward sunset. It has ample shade and a place for the hammock. Here is a shot of it from across the river and one from camp.


We have spent a lot of our time exploring around the Giant Forrest area, doing easy hikes around Crescent, Log, Round and Long meadows. The flowers are really starting to come out and it is very pretty.

Our only long hike so far has been in King's Canyon.
We did a 6 mile loop in Redwood Canyon. It was a great hike that led you through a the biggest grove of Sequoias in either park. It also went through a lot of other forest regions. Evan has become a junior botanist and can identify all the different pines. He was most impressed with the pine cones from the Sugar Pine.
Sequoia and Broadleaf Lupine

So far we have seen six bears including this mom and cub, snakes and lots of deer.

We have plans to drive tomorrow to a remote part of the park called Mineral King. It is higher elevation and will allow us some alpine hiking without the extra time needed to reach them by hiking. Around here most hikes that go to alpine areas are long and hard.
I believe the plan is still to leave on our 10th day and head back. Bitter sweet, but home starts tugging hard when you get near the end of the trip. Luckily we still have Joshua Tree and Saguaro National parks to look forward to along the way. I will post more Sequoia photos when we get to our first hotel. Thanks for your comments. Glad you have enjoyed the pictures.
-Erik

6 comments:
My (almost) constant checking of your blogsite finally paid off - yea! A new post! Love the photo of the boys in the huge Sequoia tree. I'm Pleased to hear of Evan's interest in trees - he and I will have to discuss the ever- elusive "Cucumber Tree" next time we are together :o).
What a beautiful campsite. No wonder you can spend so much time there....when I think of campgrounds, that is not what I visualize. I did not know that Trip Advisor helps campers. I use the site a lot for B&B's when we travel overseas.
Enjoy the rest of your stay, and keep us posted!
Wow Mom you must be keeping a close eye on us, I was not even done adding photos to the post when I got your comment.
Erik, Michelle, Evan, and Ian,
Fantastic photos of you guys just living the dream.
Eternal Love,
Mark and Robin
hey yall, it looks like you're having a great time! i just wanted to let you know that my flight out of bham leaves next monday, the 21st. if it is okay with you i will take charlie to the oxmoor animal clinic that morning... let me know if you'd rather i do something different.
everything has been fine here... the car battery died really randomly last month, but i called oxmoor automotive and they took care of it.
i hope you have a safe trip back!
It's a tough job, but somebody's got to watch you. Actually, I just got lucky. Glad I checked back so I could see more photos.
Hi Evan! Looks like your trip has been fun! I am looking forward to seeing you soon! Have a safe trip home.
Chandler
Post a Comment